If you believe everyone deserves the opportunity to achieve their literacy goals, you share the vision of VLC!
Our work depends on the contributions of our volunteers who help with several aspects of VLC’s activities, from tutoring to administration and Board membership. We offer a range of opportunities for you to make a rewarding contribution as a volunteer. Previous experience is not essential for many of these positions.
Please consider becoming a VLC volunteer in one of the areas described below. A general application form is provided at the bottom of the page.
Do you have time to devote on a regular basis to work 1:1 with adult learners who are facing challenges with basic literacy? Or are you interested in working with adults whose first language is not English, either 1:1 or in our English Conversation Groups? Or do you wish to support adults with basic computer skills so they can interact with their networks and gain access to important resources? Perhaps becoming a pen pal is more up your alley?
Our Volunteer tutors are trained, supported and carefully matched with a learner or group by our Adult Program Coordinator. Specific learning goals are identified and agreed upon, then the volunteer tutor and learners meet regularly to achieve those goals. We ask for a commitment of at least 6-12 months from new tutors. Read more about Adult Literacy Tutoring Program here.
If you would like to talk to us before applying, please call 250-385-0014 or click here to Contact Us.
Child and Youth Programs
Does your interest lie in helping our younger learners? Volunteers are needed to support our professional teachers in community-based programs in child and youth literacy, as well as for our online eReading Club or 1:1 tutoring. We ask for a commitment of at least 6-12 months from new tutors.
Read more about the Child and Youth programs here.
If you would like to talk to us before applying, please give us a call at 236-464-1575 or click here to Contact Us.
VLC at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre (VIRCC)
Temporarily suspended due to Covid-19.
VLC operates a special program for adult literacy at the Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre on Wilkinson Road. This provides some of the most gratifying results, as inmates work toward high school equivalency or other educational goals. Volunteers work under the direction of a professional teacher. They help groups of inmates with classroom work, and also do some 1:1 tutoring to help inmates achieve specific learning goals. Read more here.
If you would like to talk to us before applying, please give us a call at 250-385-0014 or click here to Contact Us.
Board and Committee
VLC has a maximum capacity of 12 Board Members. At present we have 11 Directors, and would welcome another to complement this very hands-on group of community-minded individuals. Interested parties are requested to contact the Executive Director – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If Board work is not your cup of tea and you prefer projects, then perhaps joining a committee is preferable. We have different projects ongoing, in order to assure quality of service and the sustainability thereof. Our committees are:
- Fundraising and Communications
- Governance and Administration
Should you have an interest in one or more of these committees, please contact our Executive Director – email: email@example.com
Administrative and Managerial Support
VLC is a small organization, and volunteer help for administrative work is appreciated. Volunteers can help in general administration, media relations, social media, database work, grant writing, or event planning and logistics.
Interested parties are requested to contact the Executive Director – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps to begin your volunteering journey with VLC:
1. Fill out the Volunteer Application Form
2. Collect 2 reference letters (guidelines in the Volunteer Application Form)
3. Submit your application with the two reference letters to the appropriate person, depending on where you’d like to volunteer:
Child & Youth programs: email@example.com
Adult programs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer Literacy for Adults: email@example.com
Board, Committee and Administrative support: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Once received by the appropriate person, they will respond to book a time for an initial interview in which you and they will get to know each other and have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
5. If required (depending on the type of volunteering you wish to do), you will be given a code and asked to return a completed Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check. There is no charge for this service for volunteers, and if completed online (our preferred method) CRCs are generally received by our office in a few days. Instructions are also in the Volunteer Application Form. If you can not complete the request for a CRC online please contact the program coordinator to request a manual process.
6. Once the above is complete it’s time to train you and match you with your chosen volunteer experience.
Ready to volunteer?
Fill out our volunteer application form!